Copying Value Lists

FLOWERS

This topic is 7248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The easiest way is to choose the option "Use value list from another file" (at the bottom of the Edit Value List dialog box). Aftreards you can choose the file, where the value list resides in and use it as if it were in the actual file. But this needs the external file to be still present.

Roger on that, However, I have 60 value lists in file A that the other files refer to and I want to move the 60 value lists to file B. I can do it manually one at a time, I thought there might be an easier way....

Thanks

This might be crazy but it's worth a try. Set up a separate file which has one field per ValueList and one record. Set the fields to

ValueListItems(dbname, valuelistname)

I'd script that.

Then move your new file 'over' to your new project and define all your valuelist as being from fields.

If that doesn't work you could try this -

identify the longest VL and its number of entries.

Create a record for each value item (using a LeftWords/RightWords calculation on the result of the ValueList Items.) Loop through this file as you run through the other VLs and drop their values into successive records.

Sounds complicated but it isn't really. The benefit of scripting it all is that you can repeat it if you change the original VLs.

This topic is 7248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.