Exporting csv from web page.

This topic is 7224 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to set up a web page that will be able to perform a search and then download a CSV or excell file to the web user. Anyone know of a plugin or trick that will help to do this using FMP7 Server Advanced?.

Not sure that you would need a plugin, or at least, that it would be needed at all to make the file. Not sure how you would set that file up to download though, that would be a better use of the plugin, if you were to use one.

IOW, just use an export file command within a script to make the file, after any appropriate finds, etc...

You can write the file to any directory, even on a server. So, you could get pretty creative here, but if you want a link from your FMP layout (makes sense) you probably will have to have some other server to actually serve the files after they are created. (I'm guessing, please correct me if I am wrong!)

--Tripod

Excel can import HTML tables, so make the web page into a table with the first row containing the field names.

The process could be: perform search, return html page to user, they save it to disk and open it in Excel.

I haven't done hardly any FM web work so I don't know the abilities of custom web pages with FM7. I know that both exporting and importing are script steps that don't work with Instant web publishing but I don't know if using custom web publishing can get around that limitation. If I can call on a script to perform the export I should be all set. I like the way the web page that I'm trying to mimik works. When you click on the link the file is downloaded and opens in Excel automaticaly. It's a slick way to do it but I can just have it display the report in HTML and have the download come in a different way when a button is clicked. I don't want to make to so that the customer needs to do any kind of extra steps to get it to work with Excel.

This topic is 7224 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.