How does Filemaker send a email?

Jukkie

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Does anyone knows how FMP sends a e-mail?

I have a problem, if I want to send a e-mail with mailhost smtp.hccnet.nl it works and if I send it to with our MS exchange server it doesn't work.

I use on a redirect (HTML)page the tag below.

META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content = " 1; URL=FMPro?-db=database.fp5&-lay=WEB&-format=welkom.htm&-mailto=[FMP-field: Email]&-mailfrom=[FMP-field: Email]&-mailsub=Login/password&-mailformat=mail.txt&-mailhost=smtp.hccnet.nl&-recid=[FMP-Currentrecid]&-Find"

This one works but if I change mailhost like below my computer doesn't send a mail?

-mailhost=mail.sj-solutions.nl

On the Exchange server is the option that my computer may send e-mail on. based upon fixed IP adres.

If I make a telnet connection to our exchange server I can make a e-mail. So I can connect to the exchange server.

Does anyone know what to do or explain how FMP send mail?

Hi, jukkie! I do not "KNOW" much about this, but I could take a guess...

When FileMaker sends an e-mail message, we can designate a "FROM" e-mail address as the sender, but the message is actually sent anonymously without logging in. You could put anything there and it would not make a difference. On my campus, such an e-mail message is tagged as (Unverified).

I'm not familiar w/Exchange, but on a mail server I run, I can deny outgoing messages unless the user is logged in. In fact, that is one of the reasons I use the campus smtp server instead of our local server's smtp: we don't relay unverified messages. Your Exchange server may be configured the same... you can probably telnet e-mail because you're logged in as you.

--ST

Hello Steve,

We also deny outgoing mail unless the user is logged in. But we also made a rule that if IP number: XX.XX.XX.XX connects to our server that this machine is able to send mail from our server.

This means I am a logged in computer! and have the rights to send mail.

Hopefully this clears it up a litle bit more? But I still don't get it why it wont work!

Greetings Jukkie

Hi, jukkie! Allowing IP x.x.x.x to send mail does not necessarily overrule the login requirement, but I guess it depends on how it is implemented. I'd suggest temporarily removing the login requirement to see if FM mail works then. If you have IP restrictions for your whole subnet x.x.x.*, then you can probably trust your people are who they say (sans IP spoofing) so the login requirement is less significant. Of course, it could be other things, too, though... maybe the Exchange Server (again, I must plead ignorance) has additional mail management tools installed that could be interpreting the FM-sent mail as spam/junk/virus/alien. Or maybe it does not do any SMTP relaying and will only send messages originating from itself... if so, you can probably enable SMTP realying but restrict it to your subnet x.x.x.*.

I'm out of guesses, but I hope you get it eventually!

--ST

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.