Script for serial number

This topic is 8208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to write a script that generates an alpha numeric serial number that is only one higher than the last record. When I use the auto enter function from The "define fields" dialog box, new records show the next absolute serial number (from some library I suppose), not one higher than the last record.

Help, and thanks

Garry,

Thanks, but my problem is that I am trying to write a script in my main file that will go to a number generator file, create a new record-serial number, and return to the main file and paste it into a serial number field, IF it is empty. ELSE, execute a sub-script that deletes the number generator file record containing the new serial number. That works fine, but when I execute the script that goes back to the number generator, the next new record gets a serial number that ignores the fact that I deleted the previous record, and gives what should have been the next value, had I not deleted the record.

In FMP 5.5 there is a script step that can reset the "next value" for the serial number. This'll do what you want.

On the other hand, why not reverse the process: only run the script if the serial number field is empty. That saves creating/deleting the record in the first place, and the solution will work with any version.

This topic is 8208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.