FMP 7 XML to Excel Speed

TimTucker

This topic is 7244 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've tried the example XSLT file that was on the Filemaker webpage (msxml_single.xslt and msxml_multisheet.xslt) to convert to XML for Excel, but it seems to be incredibly slow. I had to kill FM because my first attempt to export all the records was still running after about 20 minutes and had only exported less than 100 out of 9000 records. Even trying with only 500 records, it's taking several minutes.

I just want the data to be exported with column headings -- nothing fancy. Apparently the XSLT I'm using is extremely inefficient for just that.

While I could spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to optimize the XSLT file to speed things up, I figured I'd ask here first -- does anyone have a sample XSLT file that will output a large number of records to Excel XML in a reasonable amount of time? (or at least a time somewhat comparable to how long it takes FM to export to other text formats?)

Out of 26 fields, 8 of them are calculation fields (all extremely simple, nothing more complex than Field = ((1 - A) * :(

Just tried with only a small number of fields (no calculation fields) and it still takes forever. (The slowdown only occurs in the XSLT processing step, not the "processing records" step)

Ok, this is good -- I'm finding that if I change all the data to strings and get rid of the code for sorting and calculating column totals everything runs MUCH faster.

Then again, that does nothing to make opening a 18MB XML document in Excel any faster ;-)

This topic is 7244 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.