Positioning within a Field

This topic is 8180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all:

I would like to find a set of records, then loop through the process of inserting/pasting, or otherwise setting a calculation based on various fields within the found set to a Global Field.

The goal is to create a loop which will go to the end of the Global Field, then insert/paste or set the calculation based on the first record, go to the next record in the found set and repeat this until the script reaches then end of the found set. At the end of the script, I need the Global Field to be set with information from all the records in the found set, separated by returns. At the end of the loop, I will obviously have to set a finishing calculation so that the final calculation doesn't end with an amperstand and paragraph symbol.

The purpose of this script is to find Line Items from a Product Invoice to export as email to the customer.

Any experienced help would be much appreciated...

Kindest Regards and Thanks,

John

quote:

Originally posted by jollivierra:

The goal is to create a loop which will go to the end of the Global Field, then insert/paste or set the calculation based on the first record, go to the next record in the found set and repeat this until the script reaches then end of the found set. At the end of the script, I need the Global Field to be set with information from all the records in the found set, separated by returns.

Try Set Field [Global_Field]=Global_Field & "<paragraph symbol here>" & Field_You_Want_To_Insert

Instead of pasting

quote:

Originally posted by The Bridge:

Try Set Field [Global_Field]=Global_Field & "<paragraph symbol here>" & Field_You_Want_To_Insert

Instead of pasting

Tried this; it doesn't work because the Set Field step over-writes the entire contents of the global field. At the end, I end up with only 1 record in there. I need an addition to the above which will position the cursor at the very end of the field BEFORE inserting/setting/pasting...

Thanks Much...

quote:

Originally posted by jollivierra:

Tried this; it doesn't work because the Set Field step over-writes the entire contents of the global field. At the end, I end up with only 1 record in there. I need an addition to the above which will position the cursor at the very end of the field BEFORE inserting/setting/pasting...

Thanks Much...

If you notice in the calculation, you are actually *appending* the field to the end of the Global Field

Global_Field = Global_Field & "<paragraph>" & Field_You_Want_To_Append

This is called concatenation, fyi wink.gif" border="0

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: The Bridge ]

quote:

Originally posted by The Bridge:

If you notice in the calculation, you are actually *appending* the field to the end of the Global Field

Global_Field = Global_Field & "<paragraph>" & Field_You_Want_To_Append

This is called concatenation, fyi
wink.gif" border="0

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: The Bridge ]

Dear Bridge:

My apologies; you're right and DIDN'T look and yes it DID work, and you ARE THE BEST!

I'd run over that script so many times before applying for help that I saw the first few commands in your suggestion and rode over the rest.

Thanks and Much Respect,

John

No need to apologize, John -- I've been in the exact same situation many times! After staring at something for so long it's easy to overlook things!

quote:

you ARE THE BEST!

Wow, that made my day! How 'bout a nice rating? wink.gif" border="0

This topic is 8180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.