Horizontally splitting a layout in half.

niktemadur

This topic is 7221 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey everybody! Hope everything's funky with you.

I've got a question, hopefully somebody's done this before. Here goes:

To save paper, is it possible to take 2 separate list reports and put them on a single layout, one in the upper half and the other below?

Both list reports, done on separate layouts, change day by day, but consist of ten lines each at the most, so more than half of the page remains empty. I'd like to kill two birds with one stone, if you know what I mean. wink.gif Something like this:

(Header)

(Body)

------------- (Separation)

(Header)

(Body)

(Footer)

I sure hope it can be done. Here's crossing my fingers...

Thank you.

Help! I've been searching high and low for a way to do this, and I'm beginning to think that it cannot be done. I'm going in circles now.

To recap, this is what I would like to do:

Two separate list reports on one page, one in the upper half of a page, the other in the bottom half of the same page.

No this cannot be done with list view.

You could getting the same effect with a form view with two portals, but this may not work well if the size of the lists varies a lot. Sliding of portals does not always work too well.

As Ender says, 2 portals would work. It would also be possible to "mark" the relevant records, then sort and show them in 2 different Subsummaries, which could go over a page break. You would have to remove all existing marks before running the script.

Back to the portals, it would not be that difficult to count portal rows (relationship), then switch to a 2 page report, if the number exceeds what would show on 1 page. It sounds like you have a good idea of approx. how many you're dealing with.

The main problem with portals is figuring out what the keys of the relationships would be. We don't know how you're doing vacations and contracts, so we can't really say. It sounds like it might be a date-range (multi-line) thing. Too bad you're not using 7, which allows "greater than" types of relationships.

So, it can definitely be done, but there's more than one way to do it, with no clear winner.

Thanks for the support, guys. One thing, however. Can I pass on an attachment so you can see what it is I'm trying to do? My database is very large and in spanish! So it took me the better part of a night to wittle it down to the essential functions, and translate the whole mess into english!

I really hope you can take a look at it. Here's the idea: I'm trying to take two layouts:

1. Vacations by Department

2. Part Timers by Department (meaning short-term employees)

and put both into a single layout, titled

Full Report by Department.

In this last layout, I'm working on the portals, and I can't quite get them to do what I can do in List Mode. Furthermore, my Filemaker Bible is not pulling me out of this particular jam.

Pardon the full-blown Monty Python references in the file, it's all I could think of.

Here's crossing my fingers.

This topic is 7221 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.