script "go to field" vs. tab to field

This topic is 8149 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I recently upgraded to FM 5.0v3 from FM 3.0, and noticed a strange glitch using scripted navigation. In both versions, if I tab to a field with a single checkbox, hitting "return" once changes the state of the checkbox and I can tab to the next field. In FM 3.0, the "go to field" script step exactly duplicated this behavior, but in FM 5.0, the script step takes you to the field, then you must hit "return" twice to change the checkbox state. It's minor, but really annoying when doing a lot of Data Entry. Is there some new setting in FM 5.0 I must change to recreate the old FM 3.0 behavior? Is this a known change in functions? BTW - checking "select/perform" in the script step seems to have no effect. crazy.gif" border="0

I just tried it (FMP 5.0v3, Win)??? tabbing into a checkbox, one return key press changes setting. (BTW Spacebar also changes setting.)

After running a simple script "Go to Field [fieldname]" one return key changes the setting. If the script is changed to "Go to Field [fieldname, select]" it behaves exactly the same -- one return changes the setting.

Must be something at your end. Check your version -- FMP 5.0v3 is latest. Note that the select option only selects the text or activates a pop-up list.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Vaughan ]

FM 5.0v3. I just ran a one-line script to go to a checkbox field. Each time, the first checkbox value became selected, and either ENTER or SPACE toggled the check.

When you run your script, do you see that the first checkbox value has the focus (is there a dotted rectangle around it)? Try making a copy of the field, formatting it as a standard field (no checkboxes), and stretching it until it's tall enough to see all the values. Do you see any values that are not part of the value list? Are there any extra spaces or returns?

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Thom ]

• Newbies

Problem Solved, thanks for the help. This item is the final step in a script that creates a new record and fills out various fields before going to the single checkbox field.

It turns out that if I insert a window refresh before this step, it works as it should, but without the window refresh, it requires 2 returns to change the checkbox state. Weird...

I also tried making a quick one-line "go to " script and it worked as I wanted. I've had similar scripts in the past that would fail at certain points if I didn't insert a micro-pause in the form of a window-refresh.

Why does this happen? As I said before, this script worked fine without the window-refresh in FM 3.0

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: EK Design ]

This topic is 8149 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.