Paying Intersest

This topic is 7172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I hope I have the right topic forum. I've run into a problem thats causing a migraine and an ever-asking boss (may be related). mad.gif

Charging an invoice isn't the hard part. That's simple math as far as I can tell.

But it seems taking a payment on a late invoice with an interest charge gets complicated. If I take a payment that includes the interest charge the balance goes negative.

I can't tell if I am looking up the interest incorrectly or if I'm looking at the wrong balance.

Is there a standard practice for both cases? I'm not having much luck with the google search.

Thanks

Hi Chris

First off.....nice to talk with someone who is a neighbor!

I am first and foremost a CPA, so I think I am qualified to answer the question.

I'm going to need a little more information tho.

Are you talking about interest charges like finance charges, e.g. mortgage company? or are you talking about late charges, e.g. 1/2% late fee if the invoice is paid late?

In either case, both of these charges need to be booked in your system if you are not booking the interest charge/finance charge/late charge then yes you would end up with a credit balance or as you say a negative balance.

Let me know if you wanted to maybe just PM me on this subject and I will be glad to help you.

Tina Marie

Yay for locals!

I'm talking about charging late fees for customers with NET terms. I have customers who are notoriously late in their payments.

How would I book the charges? I can figure out in a calc field, but it looks like my approach is too simple for what I'm trying to get.

I think the problem I was running into was making everything a calculation. I ran into a circular definition every time.

I finally wrote a script to step through each payment line item and used temp fields to look at the previous lineitem to determine the correct amount. So far it seems to be working.

This topic is 7172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.