Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Better Color Management

This topic is 7200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Unless I missed a setting somewhere, FM doesn't "remember" ANY custom colors. Once you close and reload a database, all the custom colors are gone. Also, the process of putting custom colors back in are a major pain since 1) there is no "color picker" aka Eye Dropper, and 2) In order to use more than one of the custom color blocks, you have to first, establish your color, remember the RGB code, click the block you want it in (which wipes out your current color selection), then manually enter the numbers and save it. Unless your perfectly happy with limiting yourself to the predefined palette, this is just wasted time that could be easily corrected with a few modifications. FM is a very Design oriented DB, stuff like color management should be much more robust.

I don't know about Windows, but on the Mac, FileMaker uses Apple's color picker to choose custom colors, which remembers them in a little palette at the bottom and makes them available to other programs. It would be nice if FileMaker made user-customizable palettes available, but I don't find the current way too much of a hassle.

When I am developing a solution, I always make a blank layout within the solution & use that layout to store every color I use, or intend to use, simply in the form of colored rectangles. This way, I never need to tinker with the color picker once I've decided on the color scheme of a whole solution.

-Stanley

This topic is 7200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.