SMTPit and IWP

This topic is 7186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It depends what you mean by compatible, qwerty.

In it's present form SPTPit, like most third party plug-ins, is a client plug-in - ie it is required to be installed on each client workstation in order to provide specific functionality to the client application.

Since users accessing a database via a browser rather than via the FileMaker Pro client application have no way of installing SMTPit into their browser (it's not a browser plug-in after all) they will not benefit from its functionality. However users accessing the database via the FileMaker Pro application will be able to use SMTPit while IWP serssions are in progress.

There is provision with FileMaker Server 7, for server based plug-ins. It is therefore conceivable that, in the future, an alternative type of plug-in which might be configurable to provide functions such as email client capabilities from the server. If so, such functionality might be available equally to web and lab clients. But SMPTit in its present form is does not have that capability.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the replying to this a month after it was brought up, but I think this needs to be clarified a little bit. With FileMaker 7, Instant Web Publishing, and the new Web Publishing Engine can load and use plug-ins. SMTPit would not need to be a browser plug-in as Ray suggests. Yes, Instant Web Publishing is like having a virtual FileMaker Client through your Web Browser, but in the background, it's really not that much different than a regular version of FileMaker running anywhere else.

So, with FileMaker Pro 7 Client, the Web Publishing Engine is built into the Client and will load and use the plug-ins you have in the normal Extensions folder. With FileMaker Pro 7 Server Advanced, the Web Publishing Engine has it's own separate Extensions folder for you to place your plug-ins. (To find that Extensions folder, you'll have to read one of the Web Publishing Documentation files, because I don't know where it is off the top of my head.)

As far as using SMTPit with the Web Publishing Engine, I haven't personally had the time to test it much, but I believe we have users that are using it successfully. We are working on a new version of SMTPit that will be a native FileMaker 7 plug-in and we will test it with the Web Publishing Engine before releasing it, so we'll have more information about it at the time of launch.

I hope this helps,

Jake

• Newbies

I have a layout on FM 7 published on the web using IWP. On this layout, there is a button which calls an external function of SMTPit. This button works perfectly fine on the Filemaker application itself but it doesn't work on the web browser. Is there any way to address this issue?

• Newbies

I have a layout on FM 7 published on the web using IWP. On this layout, there is a button which calls an external function of SMTPit. This button works perfectly fine on the Filemaker application itself but it doesn't work on the web browser. Is there any way to address this issue?"

This topic is 7186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.