how to import palm contacts to filmaker v6

This topic is 7216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a new user to Filemaker. I have FM 6, which I brought two months before FM7 came out. I want to move my contacts from Palm Desktop (Windows XP)to FM 6 on Windows XP.

I converted the contacts in Desktop to CSV. I choose Contacts as a template. However, a lot of fields are missing in Contacts, such as "country." Has anyone created a template that maps from the generic Palm contacts to a FM 6 template. I was told by Filemaker Tech Support to contact the forum to see if someone has developed something like this. Otherwise, Support said to build my own using the Contacts as a start. It will take me sometime to figure out how to modify the template. I'd like to move in my contacts and create mailing labels now while I learn FM better.

Regards,

David - New to Forum and Filemaker

Hi, David, and welcome to FM Forums! It's good to know FM support is pointing people here. I've found this forum is much better than any tech support line i've ever seen.

I've never imported contacts from a Palm, but if you're looking to fill fields such as Country with a default value, before doing the import, go into the Define Fields dialog and double-click Country. Click the Auto-enter tab, select "Data", and enter "USA" or whatever country you would like as the default.

Now when you do the import, make sure you have selected the option for "Perform auto-enter options when importing" and all your records will have that default, except the ones that have a different value pre-existing in the Palm db.

HTH

Jerry

This topic is 7216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.