Changing the identity of a user

This topic is 7179 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear all,

I am administering a shared database running on an FMP 5.5 Server and accessed by a mixture of v5.5 and v6 users on a variety of Mac and PC platforms. As staff leave and are replaced, the users' identites are getting out of sync with the people actually using the system. Is there a way to change the name of the licenced user without having to delete and re-install the application?

Cheers, Dave

Hi, Dave. I'll give you the Windows answer not because it answers your question but because someone may later search for this answer in the archives.

In the user's local Windows registry, edit the value of User Name at

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFilemakerFilemaker Pro6.0Preferences

I'm sure someone who speaks Mac can help you with your situation, but it's not me. smile.gif

Jerry

Hi, Dave! Umm.. I'm not sure I understand exactly (I don't think usernames are related to registered user info), but I think on Macs, FM uses the computer's default username from the OS, so I don't think its related to FileMaker per se.

In OS9, apple menu > control panels > filesharing

In OSX, system preferences > accounts

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll find out if no one else volunteers the info... but I think that's it.

--ST

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to change the name of the licenced user without having to delete and re-install the application?

Open filemaker and navigate to Edit:Preferences: Application. Click on the User Name Custom: and enter the new name.

That's it!

Tony

This topic is 7179 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.