Server Maintenance This Week. ×

OSX "open remote" not working....

colinkeefe

This topic is 7082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not terribly familiary with OSX yet, so my problems are likely attributable to ignorance, but here goes:

I have a client with 3 Macs running OSX 10.3.x. and FM6. One machine has been acting as a Filemaker "Host", opening files at the beginning of the day, while other machines used open remote to access the files. No problem, except, of course, the machine was also a user workstation.

Last night the client decided to rectify the problem by moving the databases to another machine, and have that machine act as host. Great idea - except now none of the other machines can see the files via "open remote". Move the files back to the original machine? That configuration no longer works.

All files are set to multiuser (not "hidden").

The files are on the local hard drive of the host machine.

An opener file opens all the files on the host machine.

The users are using "open remote" to attempt to access the files.

The machines can all ping each other, so TCP/IP should be fine.

This client is a tinkerer and is basically learning about OS X accounts and privileges on the fly, so I have a feeling the problems may be tracked down to this.

Any suggestions as to where I should start to troubleshoot this? I'm hoping to be able to manage it over the phone, as I've got a new client installation on Thursday.

Colin

P.S. please don't say "get FM Server" - the client has Server 7 and clients, so this is a temporary fix while we assess the upgrade path.

All three machines have FM set to TCP/IP.

All three are connected to a Linksys router, which is then connected to a DSL router I think.

Hmmn. In OS X, you can apparently set up a personal firewall on your machine. Is this what you're asking (any firewalls protecting the whole LAN from the outside shouldn't matter, since all the machines are behind it).

I have to check with the client to see if any of the machines have this enabled, but how exactly would this affect Filemaker, and is it possible to keep the firewall enabled by changing some of its settings (and which settting do I change?).

thanks Vaughan

Colin

• 3 months later...

Sandy:

What version of FileMaker is the host computer? What version is the client? What OS are they running on?

One thing to try, before you even answer those questions, is to enter the IP address of the server manually when using "Open Remote." There are (sometimes inexplicable) times that this kicks the whole thing into action.

-Stanley

Howdy, Sandy! Also, FileMaker database sharing is separate from normal computer file sharing. You open a FM db on 1 computer, and then from within FM -- (1) set the db to shared and (2) set for multi-user. Connecting to the db should be as easy as connecting to the "host" computer's IP address. If you are trying to connect from a separate location/network, the host has to have a publically accessible IP address or your router has to be set to forward all port 5003 traffic (FM) to the internal IP address of the host server. There are some posts in the forums that should detail this but holler if you get stuck.

--ST

This topic is 7082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.