Layouts display differently, Mac vs Windows

Charles Fowler

This topic is 7201 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I notice that even when using cross-platform typefaces like Georgia and Verdana, some text-intensive layouts do not display the same on both platforms.

It seems to focus on line height - a block of text laid out on the Mac, with a number of line breaks in it, lined up niecely with other fixed elements on the page, will not line up when displayed on a Windows machine - the line heights show up as higher, so the text runs longer down the page, not lined up with the fixed elements.

Sometimes I can work around this by making each line of text its own text box - but when users are contributing text to a large field, I can't go in there breaking things up into boxes - I need things that seem to fit in one platform to carry over and fit on the other.

Are other users seeing this as well? I've conducted at least a cursory scan and search in this forum but I thought I would ask.

Many thanks,

Yes. This has been around since Windows 3.1, perhaps earlier.

Tex is always displayed bigger in Windows. I add 1 or 2 pixels to fields to allow for this. I never try to line up text in one block with fixed elements.

Some fonts seem to be more prone to this than others. I only ever use Arial/Helvetica and Times.

This topic is 7201 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.