Using calculated Fields

This topic is 8128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello-

I am brand new to FM and woudl like to know if ther is a way to join two fields into one on another DB. For example, i have a representative database, and a contact database. I am using a portal to show all the representatives that work for a specific contact, but instead of adding the first name and last name field, i would like to use only one field showing the complete name. is this possible?

Uno Mas... Is there a tutorial that i can read on this subject? I have been looking, but havn't been very sucessful.

Define your new field as a calculated field. FirstAndLast= RelationshipName::First Name &" "&RelationshipName::LastName.

RelationshipName refers to the name of the relationship you will create under Define Relationships that links the two files together. You must base the relationship on a field that is unique to whatever entity you are basing the relationship upon. An entity might be a person. For example, the same person might have serial number 00234 in both files.

Hope this gets you started.

Tom

[email protected]

• Newbies

Thanks... Thats what i needed, but now it becomes a new problem. Each rep company has mulitiple people, but teh calculated field is only showing one person. How do i fix that? Is there a command that says "unique values only?"

Are you viewing the calculated field in a portal? If so, is the portal set to view fields using the same relationship as you use in the calculated field? Also, fields in portals cannot overlap the edge of the portal row; they must be within the boundaries or you might see just one value.

Tom

• Newbies

Yes, i am viewing them from a portal, and they are not overlapping any edges. The Relationship for the calculated field is:

Rep Contacts Directory::First Name & " " & Rep Contacts Directory::Last Name

The relationship for the portal is:

Rep Contacts Directory

Is this correct?

• Newbies

Well hell. I fixed it by making the Fullname field in the Rep COntacts Directory file, not the contacts file. Then i just added it to the portal through a relationship. I'm not sure that is what i was supposed to do originally, and if it was, i'm sorry, i'm stupid smile.gif" border="0

Thanks for the help!!!

This topic is 8128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.