Script Open Hosts a no no!!

This topic is 8102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Heya people!

I just installed filemaker developer and created a run time solution with an empty database that just contained a script to open hosts and a file on my server. However when i run the solution it will not open hosts on the server....... frown.gif" border="0 bummer huh!

Anyway, why can't my script open hosts using a run time solution and what can i do instead??

Kerrin smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by kerrin:

Heya people!

Anyway, why can't my script open hosts using a run time solution and what can i do instead??

Kerrin
smile.gif" border="0

Filemaker can open runtime files, but runtimes can't open Filemaker files.

It won't open hosts because the runtime engine doesn't support shared files - sharing of its own files, opening of other shared files, etc.

There's no point, therefore, in building an opener file as a runtime solution, if that's what you're trying to do. You'll need a copy of Filemaker to open the remote files.

Colin

quote:

Originally posted by colinkeefe:

Filemaker can open runtime files, but runtimes can't open Filemaker files.

It won't open hosts because the runtime engine doesn't support shared files - sharing of its own files, opening of other shared files, etc.

There's no point, therefore, in building an opener file as a runtime solution, if that's what you're trying to do. You'll need a copy of Filemaker to open the remote files.

While it is true that you will need a copy of FileMaker to access hosted databases, you can use a runtime to automate the process -- at least on a Mac.

Basically all the runtime stores is the IP address of the host machine, the name of the file to open, and a password (optional). These fields are concatenated into an Applescript field which is called by the runtime's opener script. The Applescript launches FileMaker Pro and opens the specified file, then quits.

I use this technique especially in offices where users haven't been taught the "proper" way to open hosted files.

When I find the original article with this handy tip, I'll post it here.

Yes, but why a runtime, if you need Filemaker to open the databases anyway? You can store IPs & filenames as variables, which is very very nice, but as described (using applescript) it's not cross-platform.

Besides, unless I'm mistaken, from kerrin's post I get the idea he's trying to work around the requirement that Filemaker be installed on client machines.

Just curious,

Colin

quote:

Originally posted by colinkeefe:

Yes, but why a runtime, if you need Filemaker to open the databases anyway? You can store IPs & filenames as variables, which is very very nice, but as described (using applescript) it's not cross-platform.

Besides, unless I'm mistaken, from kerrin's post I get the idea he's trying to work around the requirement that Filemaker be installed on client machines.

Just curious,

Colin

You're absolutely right; runtime solutions will not work with hosted databases without the use of a plugin and some creative scripting.

I gathered from Kerrin's post, i.e. "...a run time solution with an empty database that just contained a script to open hosts and a file on my server..." that this was all that the runtime had to do.

I have used this approach on a number of occasions with my clients, who work primarily with Mac. The idea is that inexperienced computer users are used to the idea of clicking on an "icon" and having the computer do the work for them. This is what this solution accomplishes.

As far as cross-platform issues are concerned, I haven't had to deal with FileMaker on Windows much, but I don't believe anything's impossible. Heck, I once got CorelDraw 8 to generate files from an old Pick database, and that ain't even DOS! smile.gif" border="0

I guess my point is that when there's a problem to be solved, ya just gotta solve it. In Kerrin's (and my) case, the problem has been to make opening a remote database as easy as possible for the end-user.

This topic is 8102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.