Conversion from 5.5 to 7 going all wrong = HELP

This topic is 7246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am in the process of converting our FM5.5 data over to FM7. This has not gone well. Maybe someone can help. So far, I have two large issues. All the dbs from 5.5 used helvetica as the standard font. In FM7, it looks correct on the screen, but when we go to print the text, formatting is all over the place. For instance; We use quite a few checkbox fields. They look correct on the screen, but when we print it, the text runs off the side of the page and the boxes are no longer lined up where they are in the layout. Sounds like a font problem, so I change the font to Arial and it now prints OK. So, what's up with that? The dbs worked fine in FM5.5. Why don't they work in FM7? I have both FM5 and FM7 running on the same server, so I don't think that could be it. This problem happens on every computer and every printer. i even tried printing it as a pdf. Still the same. We have 60+ dbs. Changing the fonts in every layout could take weeks. Anyone else see this?

OK, now on to problem #2. Most of our dbs use fields that are setup for repeating edit boxes. They look correct on the screen, but the borders on some of the boxes will not print. I've tried changing the font, line size, line color, etc. I even deleted the field off the layout and set it up again. Still the same thing. The line between repeating values shows up on some fields, partially on others and not at all on some others. The left, right, top, and bottom appear to print correctly. It's just that darn line between repeating values. I'm going crazy with this!

Is FM7 as buggy as it seems? Is there any help someone could give? I just spent thousands of dollars upgrading all our workstations and the server to FM7. I'm regretting it now. It runs much slower and has at least these two major problems. Anyone got an idea I could try?

Thanks,

Tom

OK, I have another thought on the missing lines between repeating values. It appears that if the next value is empty, the line won't be drawn, but if there is something there, then the line is drawn correctly during printing. That sounds like a large bug. Anyone else see this?

First, install the FMP 7.0v2 patch. It fixes a lot -- but not all -- problems.

Secondly, did you read and follow the instructions in the Foundations and Migration Methodologies white papers? Conversion success very much depends on the amount of preparation put in to the existing system.

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm7_foundations.pdf

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm7_migration.pdf

"I have both FM5 and FM7 running on the same server"

You're going to have to explain that comment. You may have FMP 5 and 7 running on the same computer, but you cannot run more than one version of FMServer on the same box.

What I meant, was that we have both Filemaker server 5.5 and filemaker server 7 running on the same computer. Server 7 hosts the dbs that I have converted. Server 5.5 hosts the dbs that have not been converted.

I think we already have V2. When I check the about box, it shows Filmaker Pro 7.0v2.

This topic is 7246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.