Running FMPro 7 on OS X Server

This topic is 7246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So this isn't exactly a FileMaker Server question, but...

I'm upgrading a computer here to OS X Server (10.3). This computer is almost a dedicated server, but still needs to be used occaisionaly for a few tasks. I want to secure FM7 so it's not messed with, so I'm thnking that I'll create a FileMaker user, and keep that used logged in and running FM7 while someone else can log in via Fast User Switching.

How does this sound? Is there any reason why this might not work well?

Thanks

You shouldn't have a problem doing this as the two server daemons (fmserverd and fmserver_help) run independent of any user being logged on (assuming startup scripts are in place). Just don't give the second user admin rights or they may be able to access the DBs in the Library folder, or log off the "FileMaker User" and shutdown the machine without shutting down the fmserverd daemon gracefully. Not the ideal situation, but in a pinch.

FWIW - I never have any users logged into any of my server machines for their day to day duties. So you could, in theory set up a "managed user" giving them access to specific applications and the ability to log on and off only.

d

fmserverd and fmserver_help are part of FileMaker Server right? That's the problem... I don't have FileMaker Server, just FileMaker Pro. So I'm going to have to leave a user logged in. I'm just wondering is using Fast User Switching is an ok work-around.

It's not an ideal setup, but it's a real small shop with one server and 3-4 clients and not too much money.

Sorry about that I guess I was reading what "I" wanted to hear. Anyhow what you propose is possible, and I think as long as you're not rendering digital video or working on hugely processor intensive tasks on that box, you should be ok and your users shouldn't experience any major lags. Though one thing to note, you don't need OS X Server to do this, unless you're planning on running additional services particular to the server software, and with your small group you could just use the file sharing on the Client OS. With the Money you save ($499 - 10 user Server) you could buy an older G4 Tower on eBay to keep your served environments separate from your working users.

Anyhow good luck,

d

This topic is 7246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.