SMTPit and Communication with host... (-20) error

hlabonte

This topic is 7154 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Please help!

We have a script that uses the SMPTit plugin to send emails. We've been having an intermittent problem with the user receives the following error:

communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established (-20).

We're running FMP Server on a Windows 2003 server. Our users have windows XP and run FMP 6.

The user then has to exit FileMaker. Usually once they get back into FMP and try the email again, it works. Sometimes the email works on the first try. They're beyond frustrated with the function.

I've been working with our application vendor (who wrote the script), but have not come up with any solution as of yet. They suggested a network problem, but our network manager has not found any issues there. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a resolution?

-Heather

Programmer Analyst confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Hmmm I use SMTPit here on FMserver 5 running on win2kas and FMP6 on XPPro and XPhome. Using Argosoft MailServer on Win2kAS locally for SMTP server.

I don't get -20's though. Have you tried running FMserver on a XP box?

Where is your email server? on site? off site?

Have you isolated what the -20 is comming from? The DB<->Server connection? SMTPit<->SMTPserver?

SMTPit also stops FMP from serving web pages until it's done sending mail.

To me it sounds more like a network issue. If the network gets busy enough, the server/FMP connection can time out and generate a "communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established (-20)" I don't know the timeouts on the FMP to FMserver keep alives though. I have seen it where SMTPit takes a long time to connect and send a email and then the FMP gets a "communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established (-20)."

This topic is 7154 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.