Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening and placing windows on screen.

This topic is 8076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When opening a multiuser multifile solution I like to open the windows on a specific place on screen. On the left B) the menu window (5 cm width and the whole screen high). On top the navigation window (3 cm high and the whole screen width). And in the middle the window with the data. I like to do this with a startup script. I thought that when I place a window on a particular place on the screen filemaker remember it the next time on start up. Also when I place a window on the whole screen width, the next time on startup it place the window half on screen with scrollbars. Can i script this whole placing, scrolling window stuff ?

FileMaker provides only minimal window controlling with scripts. If you're using a Mac, AppleScript can get the job done. If you're using Windows, there may be a plugin that can help you.

If there isn't a plugin that can do the job, my suggestion would be to make the menu and navigation windows part of the data window's layout instead of separate windows. Besides, this will help when clicking buttons, since if the window isn't the frontmost window the user is going to have to click once to bring it to the front and then click again to activate the button. But if the menu and navigation are part of every window, then the user is only going to have to click once.

Chuck

This topic is 8076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.