Applescript to change filenames after backup

This topic is 6578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all, new to FM and needing some help...

Our FM server does a backup nightly and we want to change the name of the backup files/folders to reflect the date of the backup so that we create an archive of backups on the hard disk it backs up to. E.g. files become named "2004-10-19-backup" instead of "backup of database."

It is running on OS 9 and so I think there is an Applescript that could do this but I'm new to Apple administration and need some help. If anyone has any advice or what the script should look like (I am new to applescripts too) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry I can't help with the Applescript but I do know that it is possible. One route to go is as follows: Have the server backup to the same folder every time. You can then have an Applescript that automatically changes the filename to something like "Backup_" & current date. You would then attach this Applescript to the backup folder so that it runs whenever a new file is added.

There are lots of great Mac folks here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/8300945231 and they should be able to write the Applescript for you; just be sure to mention it's for OS 9.

Mac OS 9, huh? Ouch.

If you do upgrade to OS X and FileMaker 8 (which I highly recommend) this thread shows some shell scripts to do it for you:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/172438

This topic is 6578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.