Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 8716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I wonder if anyone knows a way to bypass the key command "apple-D" for duplicating records in a particular database. I'm sure the answer's NO, but I lose nothing by asking, so I'm asking.

My problem with duplicate records is the following: I set up a database to keep information on all the jobs we're working on, and I thought I had made it "duplicate-proof" by making two particular fields, "Job name" and "Job number" have unique validations and (in the case of "Job number"), have an auto-enter serial number value which increments by 1 per new record created.

Anyone who knowingly or unknowingly attempts to enter the same information twice is obviously unable to do this, but there is a glitch: if someone presses the stupid command-D keys by mistake (yes, it has been done!), an exact copy of the record is created (exact serial number included) and this creates problems.

If anyone knows a way around this (by creating a script, or any other way) and can help me, I would be very grateful. (If anyone's thinking of directing me to the latest issue of MacUser - Vol 16 No 11 - there's no need: I've already tried that, but it's no good).

Thanks to anyone who's been patient enough to read my over-long question.

I would have to review, but can't this be handled through groups/passwords?

Next thought is that you write a script which is enacted everytime a new record is created such that the unique id number (uid) is copied, enter find mode, paste uid, perform find, if more than one record, delete record, else proceed with the new record.

Hope one of these is useful to you.

Peace

Keith M. Davie

Hi,

There is a plugin available commercially which allows you to shut off various command and hot keys. Sorry, off the top of my head I can't think of it but I think you can find info on it through the FM site.

Louisa

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

QuicKeys from CE Software will let you disable key-commands on a per-application basis (someone in our office uses QuicKeys to disable Apple-Q in FileMaker so he doesn't accidentally quit out of what he's working on). But that is something that will need to be installed on each machine in order for it to be effective.

This topic is 8716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.