Find & Summaries between two files

alain

This topic is 8178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two files A & B. I have set up a one to one relationship between them. From File A I'm creating a report that includes a summary field on a field from file B. When I do a find and sort based on the "dept" field which resides in file A the summary field that comes from file B does not reflect the find of the set I get from file A. The summary field displays the total of all records in file B.

I realize my problem is that I'm dealing with 2 different found sets. I'd like to know if there is a way that I could solve my problem. Unfortunately File B is imported on a weekly basis from another app. and there isn't a way that I could incorporate all the data into one file.

Thanks,

Alain

Ok, after rereading your question I'm still not sure on the exact answer because there isn't enough information there (not enough for me anyway, but then again I'm just a beginner at FM as well tongue.gif" border="0 )

If you want your summary to reflect the find that you performed, then you'll have to duplicate the find you ran in File A in File B. At least that's the only way I know how to do it.

Hope this is more of what you're looking for...

Summary Fields--as distinguished from GetSummary calculations--work in a given file on a found and SORTED set. This does not apply to Grand Sumamrries.

Find the records matching the criteria you want to use. Then sort those by some field. On the layout, define a subsummary part, and place the field into it. In preview or print the field will total. If you want line items include a body part immediately above or below the summary part and put the field being summarized.

HTH

Old Advance Man

From what I'm guessing you have a relationship field (say ID) and a layout that contains a portal from File A to File B using that field...

One technique to solve your problem would be to duplicate that layout, create a new calculation field, and use that as the relationship field for the new layout.

For instance, say you always run a search on a field called Year, then if you set the calculation field to...

ID & " " & Year

Then only the relevant fields will appear in the portal.

Depending on your problem this might not be the best approach but hopefully it will get you started to solving your problem.

I don't follow. I'm using a summary field. I tried using a calculation field and it would only display the total of the last record in the summary. It would never calculate the total of all the records in the summary. Only when I created a summary field would it give me a summary. Unfortunately it was the summary of all the records in file B and not the sub-summary of the found set of A.

File A consists of the fields "track_num" "dept" "loss_amt"

File B consists of the fields "track_num" "act_loss_ammt" "sum_act_los_amt"

My link between the two files is "track_num"

My report layout is in file A and includes the "sum_act_loss_amount" from file B.

I thought about creating the report in File B but I would run into the same issue because I would also need a summary of the "loss_amt" from file A.

How would I apply your calculation ID&""&Year based in the context I just described? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks,

Alain

This topic is 8178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.