Sign in to follow this  
Tom England

Find on any field

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do a find so that it will locate a particulate word / name in any record and field?

ie in excel if you do a find eg. Smith, it will locate Smith in any column and any row.

Thanks in advance

quote:

Originally posted by Tom England:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do a find so that it will locate a particulate word / name in any record and field?

ie in excel if you do a find eg. Smith, it will locate Smith in any column and any row.

Thanks in advance

I really do not recommend this, but you could construct a calculated field that concatenates the values in the other fields. Don't use any unindexed field in that calculation, because it will be slow enough as it is. There is a limit of 64,000 characters in that text field. There may be other ways to do this, and if I think of them, I'll post back.

HTH

Old Advance Man

well another solution, no better than Old Advanced Man's though. you could script a find so that they enter the criteria into a global field and then a script copies the criteria into every field you want to search on (you will have to create a new request for each field i beleive) and then run the find. probably going to be a slow script to run though. I would recomend using the Freeze Window script step before you start creating the the requests and copying the field, it will make it move a little faster. I can't help but think that there has to be a better way though.