Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7048 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm starting to get more and more involved in this program, and as that happens am starting to want to do more things way past my current knowledge. I've only recently picked it up but have done a few things in FM to make a basic database. I want to do a lot more to organize my office.

That in mind, does anyone have any book recomendations? I don't want anything too advanced becase i'm simply not there yet. A good solid beginner/intermediate book is really what I need. I still need a few explinations on what everything is and all of the features, but I don't want a complete beginners book because I beleive that I'm slightly past that.

I would appreciate any books you guys could recommend, and also why. I searched around amazon, but would really like some advice from others who have probably already been in this situation. Thank you!

Happy Holidays,

Jess

I use "The Book of FileMaker 6 - Your One-Stop Guide...." written by Chris Kubica. He's written it in a way that you can read it from cover to cover and not get too bored with it. Plenty of great examples that come on a CD, too. I now use this book as a reference when the Help system in FM is too vague. It points out some limitations of features that FM doesn't tell you about.

If you want to look at Web technology, I use "Advanced FileMaker Pro 6 Web Development" by Bob Bowers and Steve Lane. It's quite advanced, especially if you don't know much about web programming in general. But, it has helped me tremendously.

There aren't many book (yet) on FM 7, but I've bought "Special Edition Using FileMaker Pro 7" which seems to be very good so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Rich Coulombre's "Special Edition Using FM Pro 5" (Available Amazon) was a text I found very useful with some good accompanying examples on the CD and pretty relevant to FM6 though not of course of much value for FM7.

My ideal text would have a good global overview; a comprehensive reference section illustrating the syntax of scripts and lots of examples to unpick and copy.

Good luck

This topic is 7048 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.