Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Adding tab character to text field

This topic is 8493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am concatenating strings to fill up a results text field. I would like some of the component strings to be separated by a tab character so that the outcomes will be properly formatted when the contents of the results field are pasted into Excel.

I am able to set up individual lines by including the line return character but I cannot find a way to include a corresponding tab character.

You can put a tab in a field by holding down the option key (Mac) or ctrl key (Windows) and hitting tab. If you want to insert this with a script, create a global called gTab and put a tab character into it using the above method. It will then be easier to manipulate in calculated fields. However, if you try to export this, Filemaker will probably enclose the whole thing in quotes to force it into one field.

I think you are making this more difficult than it needs to be. If you create a number of fields, each corresponding to a column in the excel file, you can simply put your data into the appropriate fields and export these as tab delimited.

[This message has been edited by BobWeaver (edited January 30, 2001).]

This topic is 8493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.