Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Very Newbie Question

This topic is 7063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am in the early planning stages of a database for my job (the application should be installed by the time we go back after Winter Break). I used (but really didn't design with - tweaking and dabbling only) previous versions at a couple of previous jobs three and more years ago but I can see that FM 7 is quite different. The DB I am planning will have 50+ fields total. Right now I am trying to get my mind around how many tables (and occurrances of tables - sheesh!) I am going to want to create and whether or not I want to actually have separate files or just separate tables. I will be the only user for the foreseeable future.

I have been going through the VTC CD and I have a book coming tomorrow (I think it's the one advertised on the Forum start page). Can anyone direct me to a resource that would have guiding principles, general rules, etc. regarding this question and other, basic design questions? For instance, at this point I can see the advantage of having separate tables for some of the "one to many" situations and also perhaps to make calculations more straightforward (right?). Neither the CD nor what I've been able to glean in this forum has really provided that kind of information in a systematic way.

I read on the FileMaker newgroup (Google Groups) that there was a "white paper" dealing with separation being put out by FileMaker last summer but I haven't been able to find it. Anyone know if this ever happened?

Thank you all for being here. I'm sure I will be back.

Deborah

A section of the Migration Foundations and Methodologies is devoted to the Seperation Model. This is available on the FMI site.

FMP 7 is a different dtatbase system from the previous versions. Start out simple. One file with a number of tables is good starting point. After you get it working then start separation of data and business by adding tables to the file. After this is working you can begin to separate into different files.

There is a sample file of a separatiion model many to many relationship in this forum. Use the latest version. http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=117552&an=0&page=0#117552

Ralph,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am glad to be reassured that I can get started and tinker as I go. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to take advantage of any sample files offered on here. I'm using my trusty iMac (System 9.2.2) at home to access this forum and I'm sure the IT people at work (where the FileMaker application will be) are not going to let me download anything. They are paranoid Windows/network people and I'm just a peon. It took me two years to talk them into getting FileMaker....AND they expect me to switch to Access by this time next year. Oh, well....

The only option I would have is to put it on a Zip Disk but I haven't got a drive for that at work. In any case, they are at least as paranoid about people bringing things from home as they are about dowloading. Basically it is "their" computer and you don't touch anything on it.

crazy.gif

I'll get there, one way or the other. Thanks for your help.

This topic is 7063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.