Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Access FileMaker database that's running on a Mac?

Chuck Provancher

This topic is 7056 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am running a FileMaker 4.1 database on a Mac G3 with OS 9. I need to have someone in my office access the database from her Windows XP computer. Several years ago, I had purchased some software called PC/MacLAN that would allow a Win98 PC user to read a file on a Mac running OS 9. It worked beautifully, but I haven't tried to see whether it's still available (or if it will work on XP).

Do I still need to purchase that software, or some other program like Dave? Or is the XP PC more likely to read the Mac files without it?

(Please don't tell me to convert the Mac user to a PC. I'm stuck with the current network configuration.)

Thanks!

some software called PC/MacLAN that would allow a Win98 PC user to read a file on a Mac running OS 9. It worked beautifully, but I haven't tried to see whether it's still available (or if it will work on XP).

Sharing a Filemaker solution should not include concurrent filesharing ...that in bad cases even destroy and corrupt your data beyond repair, since both filemaker own protokol tweaks one issue while filesharing tweaks another. This means that PC/MacLan could be used for non filemaker task such as sharing a printer or such. But the folder where the filemaker solution MUST NOT be included in the filesharing folders.

--sd

This topic is 7056 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.