Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker host name on LAN

This topic is 7027 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When opening remote hosts in FMP 6, the host name is not as specified in the Filemaker -> Preferences-> Applications-> User Name-> Custom. I have tried restarting Filemaker after changing the custom User Name but it still displays as the System name.

Can the System name be changed? Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Hi, R! I believe FileMaker pulls the host name from the OS file sharing name. For OS X 10.3, go to System Preferences > Sharing and change the "Computer Name" to whatever you want. I'd suggest something like "FM SERVER <168.192.x.x>".

Hope this helps!

--ST

Howdy Steve, unfortunately, the computer name that shows up in the sharing preferences is not the name that is displayed as the host computer name after clicking on hosts. I think it uses the "User Name" in Filemaker Pro -> Preferences -> Application.

The problem I have encountered is when I try to change from the "System" to the "Custom" user name it does not seem to work. The "User Name" assigned to the "System" button I believe is established when first installing the Filemaker software.

Not sure I have explained this adequately, but hope so.

Thanks again........ Ray

Hi Jerry, the ability to set a "Custom" host name for Macs is a bit different than PC's. It is provided in each copy of Filemaker(for Mac OSX) on the network within the Filemaker pulldown menu-> Preferences-> Application-> General-> User Name.

My problem is that when I enter a "Custom" User Name rather than use the "System" User Name it still displays the host name defined under the "System" User Name, when I "Open Remote" from a copy of Filemaker on the network.

Thanks for your thoughts........... Ray

Howdy, RR! I just double-checked and see that it's not as I had guessed before. It uses the name of the user who is logged in that FileMaker runs as. If you change the name of the computer user (System Preferences > Accounts), you should be good to go!

Sorry for the bum steer earilier!

--ST

This topic is 7027 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.