That ole one company, many locations problem

Sari

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was so impressed with the last lot of help I thought I'd try for a bit more! Amongst others, I've got 3 tables: Company, Company location and Contacts. I've attached a pdf file of the relationships.

What I actually want to do is have a layout which will show each contact with the company and the appropriate address. I've managed to create a layout of each company with a portal showing each address but can't go the that last step.

Relationship200105pm.pdf

You should relate Contact directly to Company by CompanyID, keep the relationship between Company and Location, and add a second table occurrence of Location and relate that to Contact by Location Ref.

What this gives you is:

A Company can have many Locations.

A Company has many Contacts.

A Location can be used by many Contacts for a Company.

On the Contact layout, you can choose the Location (use a conditional value list to show just the Locations for that Contact's Company.)

Then using the Location by Contact TO, show the related Location fields on the Contact layout.

If you are referring to a portal-in-a-portal type of problem there are 2 ways that I know of to go about it. One is described by RalphL. The other is to have your portal, and then create a regular calculation field, add scroll bars to it, and put it in the portal. Then make a value list that will show only the people in the company. Have the calculation for the field be ValueListItems( "myFileName"; "myValueListName" ). Then you have a portal that scrolls with the addresses for a company, and in each address a field that scrolls with all of the people in that address of the company.

Note: I've had problems with the refresh of the field using ValueListItems, so sometimes its easier to do a scripts that sets the field to ValueListItems( "myFileName"; "myValueListName" )

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.