Purchase tracking

Jaser247

This topic is 7025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I really hate to ask this but here it goes. We currently have a purchase tracking DB for all are softwar that was created by someone that knew FM but has now left the company. I am the IT person for the firm and they assume I know this software which I do very little.

Ok, in our DB we track purchases for individual vendors and have a total for all purchase for the year, for EACH vendor. Well, what they want now is a field that also calcs out the over all total for all vendors, all purchases for the year. Also they would like me to separate software license purchases as well as support agreements (new or renewals) purchases. And lastly a way to print it out on the fly when asked as a spreadsheet of some sort.

I don't expect anyone to show me how to do this, but I just want to know how difficult is this going to be for a newbie like me smile.gif. And am I going be able to add to my exsiting one or would I have to start from scratch.

And on another note, I just wanted to say this forum has been really helpful to me and I appreciate all the help I have received.

Thank you,

Jaser

Jaser:

It's not easy to give a definite answer to the question of "how difficult this is going to be." Some of it is not so tough - your overall total is a straightforward summary field, for example. Some of it might be altogether more difficult; for example, how do you differentiate a software license purchase from other purchases right now?

However, you surely won't have to start from scratch. One thing you might want to consider is getting this contracted out, as it will definitely take a reasonable amount of time away from regular IT duties, but that's another subject.

-Stanley

Thanks, right now we haven't had to differentiate from software licenses and other purchases. Usually I get a quote for what they want, order it and then get an invoice which I just hand over to accounting to pay, which they log the purchase.

Thanks for your response I will definitely look into contracting this out if possible. On another note, I really do want to learn FM, any suggestions on how to start(books,examples,ect..), and is it a waste of time to learn 6 since 7 is out? I know our company will not upgrade any time soon so I am stuck with 5.5 and 6.

Thanks again,

Jaser

Jaser

Filemaker 5 & 6 databases will be around for a long time yet. You may be able to pick up some FM5/6 books at bargain prices. One of the best, even at full price, is "Special Edition- Using Filemaker Pro" by Coulombre and Price. If you learn version 5/6, you won't find too many surprises when you later move on to version 7.

Jaser:

I agree with Bob - the similarities are greater than the differences between 6 and 7. Even when reading these forums, much of the advice that applies to 7 will also apply to 6, and vice versa. Also, Bob's recommendation of "Special Edition" is right on the money. I think it's the best book out there for FMP 5 and 6. In fact, I'm selling a bunch of my FMP books on eBay sometime next week, including that one.

-Stanley

This topic is 7025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.