Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deleted Container fields retains huge file size

This topic is 6968 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I had an FM7 database, a few hundred records, that had a container field with a high resolution image in it. Rather than waiting for a delete to clear the field contents, I deleted the field from Define Databases and recreated it. The problem is even though the database is completely empty, it is still showing as 1.2 GB! Everytime it opens it goes through a "scanning unused blocks" for five minutes. I tried making a clone, doing a save as, and it still shows as 1.2 GB. Anyone know what is going on?

I'm sure you tried this, but just a thought: did you do a save a copy as (compacted) ?

This should remove all stuff filemaker has marked as deleted, but never really deleted.

I would think that removing the field would have done nuked it, but if you named it the same thing, then maybe filemaker was too smart?

Maybe delete the field, do save a copy (compacted) ; open that copy and then recreate the field might work?

Just a thought.

hope that helps,

sincerely,

J__

• 1 month later...

If you have FMD 7, use the "File Maintenance Utilities" - in there, you can tell it to reduce file size (by getting rid of the unused space for the image that no longer exists).

If you don't have FMD, get it! Quick, easy solution.

This topic is 6968 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.