changing Custom Value in Value Lists

gyuni

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

i'm a complete noob in filemaker. basically my boss just asked me to make some modifications to an existing database the other day and i really can't figure out how to make the following change.

there is a value list that is customly defined. my boss wants me to change the order of some of the values and the names of the values, but retain the information that has been entered already.

basically the form now looks like

Deposit Check

Deposit Guaranteed

Form 1 - Acceptance

Form 2 - Agreement

Form 3 - Physician

Form 4 - Important

Host Family

she wants me to change it to

Deposit Check

Deposit Guaranteed

Form 1 - Acceptance

Form 2 - Physician

Form 3 - Important

Statement of Agreement

Host Family

so when i have tried to just change the values on the custom values list, the boxes that were formerly checked when i changed the name/order of the values

Gyuni:

Welcome to the Forums.

Your post got chopped off, but I can see what the problem is. If you change the value list, then some records will appear to have nothing checked because (for example) they had "Form 3 -Physician" checked, and now that choice doesn't exist. The good thing is that the data still exists. What you can do is to add a text field beside/below your checkboxes, and set it to the same field as the checkbox field. However, in Define Fields..., set it so that the user cannot enter data, and set it to be a regular text box. It will show the entry for the field, even if it is not one of the choices in the checkbox field.

-Stanley

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.