Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Pro OSX templates to FM Pro Windows ?

jasonn

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I used to use Filemaker Pro at a previous workplace on OS X and now I have moved to another location which is Windows based but would like to use all of my old templates. Would I be able to load them onto a Windows system with Filemaker Pro for Windows installed, I am not that skilled at re-creating them from scratch. Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jason.

Jason:

Welcome to the Forums.

FileMaker files are cross-platform, and should work fine on either Windows or Mac. The main thing that would cause you trouble is if you have any AppleScript calls in your ScriptMaker scripts. These would not work in Windows. The other thing to check, once you've made the move, is that any print settings may have to be reset, and layouts tweaked slightly, as Windows prints differently from the Mac.

-Stanley

Welcome to the Forum jasonn,

You can open them in Windows, but you may have to make some ajustments in the layouts. Fonts are rendered differently. You may want to change fonts or font size, and/or the size of the field.

• Newbies

Thanks, you guys are unbelievably fast and helpful. I think I'll go buy FM Pro for Windows and give it a try. Do you have any quick tips on how to extract the templates only and not the dbase behind it. I am going to have to get someone who is not FM Pro savvy to email them to me at my new location which is another island from theirs. Does it have to do with cloning, I have done it before but forget now and will need to explain it to her. Thanks again.

Jason:

You are right. It's cloning. When you go to Save As.. there is an option to save as a clone. This will give you the file, but no records.

-Stanley

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.