Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker POS System on the Mac

stanley

This topic is 7003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All:

I've got a client who has asked that I look into setting up a FileMaker Point of Sale system, with cash register(s) and perhaps even touch-screen (along the lines of a restaurant system.) While I'm out there searching for clues on the net, I wondered if anyone here has done such a system, or had any hints for me. I imagine the client will want to stick entirely within OSX.

Thanks

-Stanley

Howdy, s! I have not done so, but my university computer store and university copy center both use FileMaker as retail registers and they seem to be happy with it, but neither is a long line at the register so I'm not sure if there'd be a problem or not if things got speedy. Folks have discussed (and implemented) the use of bar code scanning in FMFORUMS and I've seen a bar code scanner on MacOSX work great, but I have not actually done a FileMaker bar code system of any kind.

Hope this helps some, though!

--ST

Steve:

Thanks for the info. I'm an old hand at barcodes & FMP, so there's no problem there. What I'm most interested in is the integration of a cash register drawer, and how people have accomplished that. I'd be very interested if you could pry any information out of your univ. stores about what plugins/solutions they're employing. I'm looking into using the Troi Serial plugin, but this is all theory right now, and until I get a budget, I can't go experimenting with actual equipment.

-Stanley

• Newbies

I Have been using FMP for our bookshops as the POS for a number of years, and it works great. At the moment we have 2 locations running OSX10.3 over a WAN with FMP server 7 on a dual 1.8 with 2 gigs RAM. Each till has a G4 700 Imac ( ilamp ).It can get a tad slow ( over 200 000 book titles ) and will probably look into setting up a VPN very soon

If you plan to use a cash draw, you need either the Troi Plug in or a cash receipt printer to "fire" it open. With OSX there is only one printer that has drivers as we speak, and that is the StarTSP range.

Not sure what else to tell you, but the touch screen option could get expensive and unnessary if you create " nice buttons " for the end user

Grant

Grant:

Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for the information. That's all very useful. I had wondered if the Troi Serial plugin would work under OSX on a late-model Mac. Do you connect to the drawer via the USB port? Further, are you using FMS in one location, and hosting to multiple locations from there?

The touch screen isn't in the client's request (yet) but I figure that, as it's a restaurant, it's what the staff may end up asking for. It'll all be mice & keyboards until then.

Thanks again.

-Stanley

• Newbies

I believe that the Troi Serial plugin works on older Mac's... both 9 & 10. We connect the the receipt printer via USB, then the cash drawer is connected to the printer, and its the printer that fires open the cash draw. With the STAR TSP range you can 2 cash drawers hooked up to one printer.

We have 2 locations running our POS over a WAN system, one running the server and 3 ilamps, and the other logging in via remore access.

Grant

Grant:

Thanks for the extra information. I have a feeling this project isn't going to happen - vanishing client syndrome - but I'm sure to be prepared if they reappear one day.

-Stanley

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 7003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.