disappearing portal trick

joegold

This topic is 7016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In FM6, I used to use the disappearing portal trick described on page 414 of "Special Edition: Using Filemaker Pro 5". Basically you use a portal to make buttons and fields diappear or reappear based on a relationship. I can't seem to make this same bahvior work on FM7. I'm trying to make a "show all contacts" button disappear when the user is viewing the complete set of records, but when the user is viewing a smaller found set, the "show all contacts" button would reappear. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Or is there a change in behavior in FM7?

Yes, I understand that.

Here's how I had it set up in FM6

In my data file:

findportal=if(found_records=total_records,0,1)

found_records=status(currentfoundcount)

total_records=status(currentrecordcount)

in a separate file named constants, I have only one record. I have a number field named "one" which has the value of 1.

Then I have a relationship where "find_portal" from the data file = "one" from the constants file

Then I have a portal with a "show all contacts" button on it. When the found set is less than the total number of records, the "show all contacts" button is visible. When the found set equals the total number of records, the "show all contacts" button disappears.

Here's how I had it set up in FM7

In my data table:

findportal=if(found_records=total_records,0,1)

found_records=get(foundcount)

total_records=get(totalrecordcount)

in a separate table named constants, I have only one record. I have a number field named "one" which has the value of 1.

Then I have a relationship where "find_portal" from the data table = "one" from the constants table

Then I have a portal with a "show all contacts" button on it. But the portal is not disappearing when the total records equal the found records. What's really odd is that when I move to a different record the button does disappear, but when I move back to the original record, the "show all contacts" button incorrectly returns. Since the number of records in the found set has nothing to do with what record I am on, I would expect the appearance or disappearance of the portal to be the same throughout all the records. But that is not the case.

Anyone have any ideas?

This topic is 7016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.