Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File references

This topic is 7020 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have done my first conversion from 6 to 7. I know nothing about file references, and can find no indication of them in my version 6, but after my conversion to 7, I noticed that there were several file references created (somehow). I do not want to reference any EXTERNAL file. Do I just delete all these file references?

How many files did you use in filemaker 6 application? When you convert all files to filemaker 7 relational files will be created as fike references. Because when defined any relationship or used value list from another file Fileaker pro 7 must create references to those files. Please do not delete any file references.......

As PoweredbyFM states, File references are now your relationship links to external files. While good advice to not delete these references, you may also note that there are extra references to old locations.

Pre 7 databases remembered all the locatios of that file, so you may have extra references you no longer need. In this case, cleaning up the file references can indeed help.

Now, if you have brought all related files into a single database as tables, then you may not need any references, otherwise be careful what you delete.

New Millennium produce a tool called metadata magic that includes a file reference fixer. http://www.nmci.com/index.php?src=direct...e_MetadataMagic

HTH

• Newbies

Thanks for your response. My version 6 solution had 13 files, all of which became tables in my version 7 solution. I still feel confused why I need any file references if all of the solution is in the same file, or do I need them as table references? But your warning "please do not delete any file references" has me nervous. Thanks again.

• Newbies

This is indeed what I have done: "Now, if you have brought all related files into a single database as tables, then you may not need any references, otherwise be careful what you delete."

I guess this means it is safe to delete them. Is there any difference if my single file solution is networked on a LAN?

Is there a MetedataMagic for version 7? Or do I get 6 and use it before conversion?

Thank you so much!!!

Hi Rachel -

If you have brought all your dbs into the single file format, and your Table Occurences in your relationship graph reference these tables and not any external file (quick way to know is look at the Table Occurence name. If it is in Italic then you are referencing an external file) then you would not require any File references.

If it was me, I would make a copy of the file and test the deletion of file references. Never do anything like this on a live solution.

As far as I know MetaData Magic is pre 7 only. If you have done a successful conversion, you may want to invest in other tools instead of this one.

Good tools to have in your developers arsenal are;

FMRobot - also by www.nmci.com

Analyzer 4 - By Waves in Motion www.wmotion.com

HTH

This topic is 7020 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.