Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Return to record

This topic is 7007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all, I'm having trouble returning to a particular record after leaving to perform some calculations on a group of other records. When I try to use Go to Record by calculation script step, I haven't been able to determine what value I need to make it actually find the record in question. I've tried serializing my records, using the record number, recrod ID. Can you help?

Thanks for any help you might provide on this. tongue.gif

Buildude:

You may want to try the simple expedient of stashing the record ID in a global at the beginning of your process, and then finding the record via that global at the end. In a very large file this can be a bit slow, but it's guaranteed to work, at the least.

-Stanley

Indexed finds are very fast, even with large databases. However, it may be easier to use a self-join relationship between the global field you are storing the last Record ID in and the Record ID field. Then use a Go to Related Record [] script step to jump to the record.

I've tried that......I think. I start by setting my variables field to the record Id by using the "Get record ID" function. Then I've attempted to use the "go to recrod by - calcualtion" with the "get repitition number" function specified in the calculation. Problem is I never make it back to the desired record. What am I missing?

Thanks, Peter

We assumed you were using a field called Record ID, with some sort of unique auto entered serial number. If you don't have a field like this, you will need to add it.

Refer to this Record ID for these operations, NOT the internal record ID (from the Get() function.)

This topic is 7007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.