Import Custom Values into Value List

Mike D.

This topic is 6981 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to import the custom values from a value list from one version of a solution to a newer version of the same database? When I update a database that I have at a client's site, I typically bring a clone of the update, and run an import script to bring in all their data. The one thing that gets missed is if they edit the custom values of a value list.

I know how to import the values from a value list from one database into a text field of the newer database using the Design function ValueListItems(), but how do I put those values into the appropriate value list?

The only work around I can think of is to create a table of value list text fields and reference those fields instead of using the built-in custom values defined in the list. When the client needs to update the list, they would make the changes in the text fields.

Any thoughts?

Mike

You could simply remember to copy and paste the values from your user-editable value lists in the old version to the new, every time you update the file.

However, if the values frequently change, then it's better to use a table for the list of values. This way you can have IDs tied to the values, and changes to the text of a value can automatically be seen in layouts that reference it.

The copy and paste method would be my last choice. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward creating a table of list values. I can use the ValueListItems function to initially populate those fields.

Out of the 36 Value lists, 12 use custom values that the customer needs to edit or modify. For these particular value lists, I don't need to tie them to an ID because of the way they are used. The other 24 value lists (pulled from other fields) definitely use and need an ID.

Thanks, Mike

This topic is 6981 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.