Hosting fm dbs outside of fm5.5server folder

This topic is 6967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Jbernal:

Welcome to the Forums.

You can host files from outside of the FMS folder, but Server will not automatically launch them when it starts. This can be quite important in case of a server crash, power outage or whatever.

I am curious as to why you want to do this, though, and would strongly recommend against hosting files that are not within the folder. One of the good things about having your files within the Server folder is that you can tell immediately which files are meant to be served and which files are not. Also, as this is the standard practice, anyone who has access to the documentation will know where to look for the files, should this be necessary...

-Stanley

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Hi. I have a similar problem as ibernal. The reason is IS Dpt. Policies, they don't want applications and data in the same folder. I've tested puting aliases in the Server folder, using Server 5.5 in a Mac with MacOS 9 and an iMac with MacOS X as client, and they worked fine. But when I Tryed a similar setup in a W2000 Server, the shortcuts (aliases) din't work. They briefly showed a black rectangle when ?

Carlos

This topic is 6967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.