Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Image file link with server ?

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

Working on a FMP7 server, I have imported pictures from a folder (only file links) in a DB in a multimedia container. When I looking the DB on from the server, images are well displayed but things go wrong when I use a FMP7 client to look at the pictures: instead of pictures, the multimedia container displays something like "unable to find the file...".

So is there any way to display pictures stored on a server with file links? May be with a plug-in?

Thank you for your help!

Zax,

There are many posts on these forums covering this issue. Search around for further explanations of what to do in this case. I have gone through this for a mixed site with Macs and PCs with the host being on a Mac. The basic point is that a file reference is stored in the container field in Filemaker. This reference defines the location of the file relative to the user account and computer that was used to upload the file. In your case the file reference on the hosting Mac points somewhere different (if it exists) when used on the client Mac.

You can view the file reference path for a container field by using the GetAsText(<container field>) function. It will return a string looking like this when a Mac is used for the upload:

file:NameOfYourFile

filemac:/drivename/foldername/.../NameOfYourFile

The filemac:/ line is the full relative path to your file.

The key to making this relative path work on a network is to make it absolute over your network. To do this without scripts or plugins means always uploading files that already reside on a server. And that have the same server share name on all computers. That way the filemac:/drivename portion of the path will actually be the share name on the server.

There are several issues involved in this and bits of software about to assist in implementing it. One issue is, it may preclude using the filemaker host Mac as a client as I believe Macs don't like you accessing the local drive through the network share (not entirely sure about this). But you could make the sharename the same as the host computers drivename to get around it, maybe. Bit of a fudge.

To assist in setting up shares on a regular Mac you can use HornWare's SharePoints, http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/. An invaluable piece of software if you are from the Windows world and used to being able to share anything at anytime.

If you do use scripts to upload and open the files, an applescript can make sure a particular server share is loaded first.

An alternate method is to use a separate path text field or fields to hold the location of the file. This can be created from the uploaded path given what you know of the source of the upload request. Then when the file is opened, build an appropriate path for that user and computer and open it with an applescript. The key is to make sure the path you store is usable by all Macs on the network. This was the method I used for the mixed network as there were a number of pre-existing network connections that need to be accomodated. Now its a matter of adding the IWP clients to the soup.

Cheers,

John.

Doesn't the fact that you have to turn on File Sharing for the server machine contradict FileMaker's safe practices which is to have File Sharing off on that machine? It's odd, that such an important limitation is so poorly documented.* Experts (and I don't include myself when it comes to networking) still debate this question; and I've seen explicit public advice to NOT do it from Jimmy Jones, a well-known FileMaker engineer. Yet all other IT people, and practically everyone else, would assume it's OK, as long as File Sharing was OFF for the FileMaker files' folder.

*Personally I think it's possible that FileMaker is trying to play down the question, because if they stated flat out on page 1 that you might need to buy another computer to host your FileMaker files it would hurt sales. It may also be that someday they will make it absolutely safe to do so. I hope so, as it would be a boon to small businesses; but I'm not holding my breath. Neither would I expect them to announce, in that case, that it is NOW safe, as many customers would then ask, "It wasn't before?!"

Fenton,

Filemaker files need to be protected from being opened by two copies of FM at a time. That's the impetus for this rule of thumb. In the black and white world of OSX file sharing, it is likely that the safe bet is to not file share period. But Unix is capable of presenting a richer sharing environment than is made available with desktop OSX. The HornWare SharePoints preference panel opens this up for the user. Take a look at it, it could save you the cost of another machine or a server license. As I said, this is not new to Windows users.

I think Filemaker discourages file sharing on the hosting machine simply because vanilla OSX does not have in place controls to limit access to the Mac by users who have accounts on the machine. If the files are resident in one of those user's file areas (desktop for example) then they are ripe for opening through the network. Then Filemaker has to explain to the poor sot why his files are all higgeldy-piggeldy.

BTW, I see Zax aleady has server.

Cheers,

John.

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.