Server Maintenance This Week. ×

newbie ?? Can individual records be locked?

This topic is 6990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've created a simple database of all expenses for every project with the ability to print expense reports on a project by project basis. Is it possible to lock individual records after initial data entry to prevent someone from changing original content without confirming their intention to do so? The concern is that expenses associated with a project will be missed if someone changes the project it is associated with.

Thanks for taking time to respond!

There are a number of techniques to lock a record. One of the easiest is to have two identical layouts: one for data entry and one for display.

My favorite technique is to have a field, lock. When when you want to modify the record, set lock to 0. When you want it locked, set it to 1. If you validation in the database schema, validate each field that you want locked to make sure that lock=0.

There are a few other ways, but the technique above works well.

• Newbies

Thanks for the suggestion. In a perfect world the original entry would be done without requesting confirmation but any other time an existing record was viewed and then changed it would require confirmation...

I'll experiment with duplicate layouts too.

This topic is 6990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.