networking a simple database

This topic is 6980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a little bit of a FM newbie...

I've just created a simple, 1-file database to organize our school's career exploration day. This database basically counts the number of people attending each career exploration session (there are many all running at the same time) and generates students' personalised timetables. Unfortunately, 8 people will be required to all use the database at the same time. Would it be possible to share this file over a network in FMP 5.5? We have a highly secure windoze xp/server03 network where we can't do something as simple as right-clicking in windows explorer so changing network settings (through control panel) is definitely out of the question. Additionally, we can't share files off of local computers -- they can only be put in a network folder. I guess I should note that we do not have access to FileMaker server.

ANY help would be very greately appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I am new to FM 7 with a similar question Used to use a very old version of FM on old (10 yrs plus) on an apple network in my office. Have now upgrade to FM 7 using windows XP. This server stuff is all new to me. Did not need to have FM server app to share files simultaneously in the old version I had. So, is it true with the new version, the only way to simultaneously share a file on two computers (or more) is to buy the FM server or are you allowed to share a file simultaneously on two or more computers by having multiple versions of FM 7. Any help is appreciated.

• Newbies

I am new to FM 7 with a similar question Used to use a very old version of FM on old (10 yrs plus) on an apple network in my office. Have now upgrade to FM 7 using windows XP. This server stuff is all new to me. Did not need to have FM server app to share files simultaneously in the old version I had. So, is it true with the new version, the only way to simultaneously share a file on two computers (or more) is to buy the FM server or are you allowed to share a file simultaneously on two or more computers by having multiple versions of FM 7. Any help is appreciated.

• Newbies

This topic is 6980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.