Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Pro 4 - FM Pro 7

This topic is 6988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I BEG for pardon if I posted this thread in the wrong site.

I am a very very new user of FM Pro. Currently my office is using FM Pro 4. We are thinking to upgrade to version 7 very soon.

(Please bear in mind that I am totally new to FM)

1) I heard that in FM Pro 7, I can post all the databases on a website. Is this true? If it is, can anyone with access to a web browser be able to access my databases? Even those without the FM program installed? Will these users be able to edit the records in the d/bases online?

2) I need to create a facility-booking scheduling calendar for the office. Purpose is to allow creation/cancellation booking of board rooms, meeting rooms, office equipment, etc. Does FM Pro 7 carry this feature? Or can you recommend any 3rd-party softwares that may run integratively with FM Pro? I saw Meeting Maker, just wondering if someone'd recommend me more.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

"I heard that in FM Pro 7, I can post all the databases on a website."

You can in FMP 4 too, it was one of it's biggest features. FMP 7 does it much better.

"I need to create a facility-booking scheduling calendar for the office."

Sure FMP 7 can do this. It'll be a lot of work though... in *any* database development system. There may be some pre-built systems around, but don't expect any freeware.

Thank you for your reply Mr Vaughn.

1) "I heard that in FM Pro 7, I can post all the databases on a website."

You can in FMP 4 too, it was one of it's biggest features. FMP 7 does it

much better.

How can FM4 databases be hosted on a website? Please pardon my seemingly "stupid" questions for I am REALLY clueless. By "website" do we mean "the Internet" or for just a local LAN?

2) "I need to create a facility-booking scheduling calendar for the office."

Sure FMP 7 can do this. It'll be a lot of work though... in *any* database

development system. There may be some pre-built systems around, but don't

expect any freeware.I am not looking for freeware.

Am prepared to pay as long as my requirements are met. I was wondering if there are ALREADY third-party softwares that work alongside FMPro in providing something like a facility-booking scheduling calendar. Also, looking at something like a "daily staff-attendance" program. A simple program, just to know if a staff called in sick, on leave, etc.

Am hoping to find an existing program that can meet my requirements. Hoping to integrate it with FMPro if possible. Can you please help recommend some?

"How can FM4 databases be hosted on a website?"

Read up on Instant Web Publishing in the FMP Help. Maybe it'll be under "sharing your databases on the web" or something too. But all the instructions are there. Note that IWP is limited in what it can render to the web, especially in FMP 4.

As for a facility booking system, take a look around the FileMaker Inc web site. There is an area that lists solutions.

Read up on Instant Web Publishing in the FMP Help. Maybe it'll be under "sharing your databases on the web" or something too. But all the instructions are there. Note that IWP is limited in what it can render to the web, especially in FMP 4.

As for a facility booking system, take a look around the FileMaker Inc web site. There is an area that lists solutions.

A user being served web pages does not need any FM components; it just looks like a standard web site.

FM7 renders fabulously to web pages, although last year I was hammered with web operational bugs. Make sure you have the most recent FM7 versions.

FM6 in some ways gave the most control over web serving, but for transparency, FM7 rules.

There are scheduling products on the market, but I cannot advise you which ones to consider. Avon was looking for a scheduler that we, as developers, voted against. However, the all-powerful salesman convinced them that his multi-vendor 'integrated solution' was viable. I'm not sure if they ever got it working.

My suggestion is that if you don't find an easily integrated scheduler and don't find a pre-packaged FM solution that meets your needs, that you consider hiring a developer.

A user being served web pages does not need any FM components; it just looks like a standard web site.

FM7 renders fabulously to web pages, although last year I was hammered with web operational bugs. Make sure you have the most recent FM7 versions.

FM6 in some ways gave the most control over web serving, but for transparency, FM7 rules.

There are scheduling products on the market, but I cannot advise you which ones to consider. Avon was looking for a scheduler that we, as developers, voted against. However, the all-powerful salesman convinced them that his multi-vendor 'integrated solution' was viable. I'm not sure if they ever got it working.

My suggestion is that if you don't find an easily integrated scheduler and don't find a pre-packaged FM solution that meets your needs, that you consider hiring a developer.

This topic is 6988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.