Server Maintenance This Week. ×

OS9 to OSX problem

mdroyal

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a small Mac LAN that all use OS 9.2 The server was using FM Server5.0 and to make an OSX machine work, I upgraded to FM Server 5.5 I upgraded the OS to 10.3.8 and am now not able to open the file. I get a message that says "" Open_orders_showtime" is currently in use and could not be opened. The file is single user or the host could not be found on the network. "

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda at a loss as to why this message is coming up.

A couple things to check:

1. Make sure the OS X account that is running has read and write access to the file (and any folders it may be in.)

2. Make sure the Server 5.5v4 patch has been applied.

3. Make sure users aren't connecting to the server via file sharing.

Is this just one file that's not working out of many hosted files? Perhaps the file has some corruption. Does the file open okay with the FileMaker Pro app?

Although this probably isn't the problem, make sure that FMServer is set up to host single-user files. The problem is most likely Ender's #1 above, permissions.

-Stanley

I do know that the patch has not been applied. I'll do that first thing. I'll also check the permissions. Thank you all for the quick reply. I just joined and think I'll like it here. I'll let you know.

Peace,

Mike

Here's the skinny. The patch is only for OSX versions and the server is OS 9. I'm not sure how to check the permissions, but 4 other people are connecting to the server, so I'm not sure if that is the problem. I'm going to try to connect through Classic and see if that works.

Mike

Mike:

I think both Ender and I misread your original question. The server is still on OS9, but you upgraded to FMS 5.5 so that you could serve an OSX box running FMP 5.5 or FMP 6, right? And all the other machines (on OS9) can still access the server?

In that case, ignore the permissions problem. Make sure that the OSX machine can see the network, make sure FMP is set to TCP/IP networking on the OSX machine, and make sure you are attempting to open the databases via either the "Hosts" button or via Open Remote... (which is Ender's point #3 above.)

-Stanley

The OSX machine does see the network, but the problem is that we're not connecting with TCP/IP, I'vegot to install a router and get all of the OS9 machines to connect via TCP. Then we can use the "host" button. After this is done, I'll post again.

Thanks,

Mike

The OSX machine does see the network, but the problem is that we're not connecting with TCP/IP, I'vegot to install a router and get all of the OS9 machines to connect via TCP. Then we can use the "host" button. After this is done, I'll post again.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks,

Mike

That is exactly what the fubar was. We were opening the files on the server with FM Server, but then mounting the server on our Drives and connecting the wrong way. Fixed it today with TCP/IP and it runs fasssssst!

Thanks for the help.

Mike

That is exactly what the fubar was. We were opening the files on the server with FM Server, but then mounting the server on our Drives and connecting the wrong way. Fixed it today with TCP/IP and it runs fasssssst!

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Thanks for the help.

Mike

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.