Speed??

This topic is 7005 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been using FM4 for years and went to 6 and was pleased. I just went to 7 and things are mighty slow. My biggest problem is printing. I print wireless to a Lexmark T420. I print 100 or so bills a month and it used to be a breeze. Now when sending it to the printer it keeps pausing and I have to hit the continue button on the printer maybe half a dozen times. With 4 and 6 it was a pleasure to print.

Scrolling is also slow. Simple database, 2 entries per customer and 10 simple calculations.

I like the new features in 7 but am ready to go back to 6. Am I right in assuming 7 is overkill for small databases?

Thanks

Hutch

I've been using FM4 for years and went to 6 and was pleased. I just went to 7 and things are mighty slow. My biggest problem is printing. I print wireless to a Lexmark T420. I print 100 or so bills a month and it used to be a breeze. Now when sending it to the printer it keeps pausing and I have to hit the continue button on the printer maybe half a dozen times. With 4 and 6 it was a pleasure to print.

Scrolling is also slow. Simple database, 2 entries per customer and 10 simple calculations.

I like the new features in 7 but am ready to go back to 6. Am I right in assuming 7 is overkill for small databases?

Thanks

Hutch

Thanks

Hutch

Am I right in assuming 7 is overkill for small databases?

No I wouldn't say - Am I right that migration precuations weren't taken? Slowdowns are usually stemming from cluttered filereferencing ...but you didn't rebuild your thingy from scratch - having all databases inside one file as TO's, did you??

--sd

No I wouldn't say - Am I right that migration precuations weren't taken? Slowdowns are usually stemming from cluttered filereferencing ...but you didn't rebuild your thingy from scratch - having all databases inside one file as TO's, did you??

--sd

--sd

No, 2 separate databases with 50 customers each and I keep a new one for each month, I import each month to a yearly database but don't print bills from it. About 250+ fields in each so I wouldn't want to start from scratch. When I converted, the big change was the Today function which was nothing. Moving around in 6 is snappy, 7 pause then move. Why it hangs the printer is beyond me. It shows the files spooling, the print center icon appears in the dock, files are sent and the dock icon disappears in seconds. Same as in 6 except the printer pausing all the time in 7. Takes 3.5 minutes to print 50 in 6, about 10 min in 7 and having to stand there.

Thanks

hutch

No, 2 separate databases with 50 customers each and I keep a new one for each month, I import each month to a yearly database but don't print bills from it. About 250+ fields in each so I wouldn't want to start from scratch. When I converted, the big change was the Today function which was nothing. Moving around in 6 is snappy, 7 pause then move. Why it hangs the printer is beyond me. It shows the files spooling, the print center icon appears in the dock, files are sent and the dock icon disappears in seconds. Same as in 6 except the printer pausing all the time in 7. Takes 3.5 minutes to print 50 in 6, about 10 min in 7 and having to stand there.

Thanks

hutch

Thanks

hutch

No, 2 separate databases with 50 customers each and I keep a new one for each month, I import each month to a yearly database but don't print bills from it. About 250+ fields in each so I wouldn't want to start from scratch.

250+ fields isn't particular normalized to be honest, you're probably much better off with a spreadsheed speedwise - you havn't embraced relational designs yet, have you???

A basic invoicing system consists of a customers table, Invoice table, and a lineitems table - where each of them holds approximately 7-10 fields - then do you system perhaps need some kind of sofistikation with a discountmatrix again approximately 7-10 fields but more likely 3-4. Further is a table perhaps needed for warehouse/storagelevels which is 3-4 fields ...we're talking 45 fields spread evenly over 5 tables, and not 250+ !!!

If I'm guesing wrong here are you ready for this tool:

http://www.newmillennium.com/index.php?s...y=MetadataMagic

--sd

No, 2 separate databases with 50 customers each and I keep a new one for each month, I import each month to a yearly database but don't print bills from it. About 250+ fields in each so I wouldn't want to start from scratch.

250+ fields isn't particular normalized to be honest, you're probably much better off with a spreadsheed speedwise - you havn't embraced relational designs yet, have you???

A basic invoicing system consists of a customers table, Invoice table, and a lineitems table - where each of them holds approximately 7-10 fields - then do you system perhaps need some kind of sofistikation with a discountmatrix again approximately 7-10 fields but more likely 3-4. Further is a table perhaps needed for warehouse/storagelevels which is 3-4 fields ...we're talking 45 fields spread evenly over 5 tables, and not 250+ !!!

--sd

--sd

Thanks Seren,

I'm not ready for MetaData, way over my needs. I spent a couple of thousand $s before I found FMPro about 1994, it came on 3 floppys then. Been doing my billing and reports ever since and still a novice. FM6 serves me fine and if 7 is going to be such a hassle I don't need it. I could send you a copy so you could see it is pretty basic, I really don't care to put it here on the board.

Hutch

Thanks Seren,

I'm not ready for MetaData, way over my needs. I spent a couple of thousand $s before I found FMPro about 1994, it came on 3 floppys then. Been doing my billing and reports ever since and still a novice. FM6 serves me fine and if 7 is going to be such a hassle I don't need it. I could send you a copy so you could see it is pretty basic, I really don't care to put it here on the board.

Hutch

Thanks Seren,

Hutch

This topic is 7005 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.