Is it possible to migrate from FM5 Win to FM7 Mac?

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been asked to modify an FM5 application that was developed on Windows. I have a Mac using FM7 (trial). When I attempt to convert the FP5 files I get an error message that the files are corrupted or else they are not FileMaker files. Is this due to the fact that I am attempting to go cross platform or is something else wrong?

I have been asked to modify an FM5 application that was developed on Windows. I have a Mac using FM7 (trial). When I attempt to convert the FP5 files I get an error message that the files are corrupted or else they are not FileMaker files. Is this due to the fact that I am attempting to go cross platform or is something else wrong?

PAW:

FileMaker is totally cross-platform, so you can develop on Mac for Win, Win for Mac, etc. The only caveats are AppleScript, plug-ins, custom functions and various font/print/layout issues. Most simpler solutions convert across with little alteration (usually to do with how each platform handles fonts and printers.)

I'd say there's an issue with the files themselves. However, I seem to recall that the conversion feature is crippled in the trial version of FMP7, which may be the problem.

If you'd like, make a clone of one of your files which will not convert, post it, and ask someone here to do a test conversion, and see if it converts on a Mac cleanly using the full version of FMP7.

-Stanley

PAW:

FileMaker is totally cross-platform, so you can develop on Mac for Win, Win for Mac, etc. The only caveats are AppleScript, plug-ins, custom functions and various font/print/layout issues. Most simpler solutions convert across with little alteration (usually to do with how each platform handles fonts and printers.)

I'd say there's an issue with the files themselves. However, I seem to recall that the conversion feature is crippled in the trial version of FMP7, which may be the problem.

If you'd like, make a clone of one of your files which will not convert, post it, and ask someone here to do a test conversion, and see if it converts on a Mac cleanly using the full version of FMP7.

-Stanley

PAW:

-Stanley

Oops ... I did not reply to my post immediately. Problem was due to some failure in copying the files. For some reason, the files had names but were 0K in size. Once I noticed that I recopied them and the conversion worked fine.

- Pat

Oops ... I did not reply to my post immediately. Problem was due to some failure in copying the files. For some reason, the files had names but were 0K in size. Once I noticed that I recopied them and the conversion worked fine.

- Pat

- Pat

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.