Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find in Related Table

This topic is 6973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Not sure if this is a separation model question or a find question, but here goes...

I'm doing some filemaker work after being away from it for several years.

It used to be that if you wanted to perform a find in a related table, you had to write a script in the related table and use 'perform script' to execute the find in the related table.

I'm trying to write a script that changes the found set in a related table without having to write scripts in that related table, but it doesn't seem to work.

I've created file references and relationships between the two files and created a one line script in the 2nd file that searches for a particular invoice number in the first file. Rather than changing the found set in the 1st file to the one invoice, I get a no records found error.

Do I still have to write the find script in the 1st file? or should what I'm trying to do work?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

From what you are saying, it seems that you want to locate (in a found set) all the records in another table that are related to the current record in the invoice table.

That being the case, you would do well to check out the 'Go to Related Record [ ]' command with the 'Show only related records' option selected. Regardles of whether the related table is in the current file or in another file, the GTRR command will isolate the related records in a found set.

It is worth noting, however, that if there are no related records, in v7 the found set of the other table will not be changed (and this is different behaviour from previous versions).

This topic is 6973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.