Server Maintenance This Week. ×

moving from PC to Mac (XP to Tiger)

amni

This topic is 6948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all

I am moving my business over from PC to Mac. I have FMpro 7 and have created an accounting system for my company on XP , I want to have this accounting system now run on Tiger OSX......will this work for me? Are there any known issues?

Danke

Since Tiger hasn't been released yet, we can't really say. But I would expect it to work the same as on previous versions of OS X--meaning pretty well. You can expect to deal with a few platform specific issues, including differences in fonts and font spacings and differences with page setups.

Amni:

Welcome to the Forums.

You'll definitely run into some layout issues regarding fonts, as the two systems deal with them differently, but it's not that big a deal. You just have to run through all your layouts and check for fonts that are being clipped or are running off the page (in the case of print layouts.) Otherwise, so long as you aren't doing anything that is Windows-specific (and chances are that you are not), you should be fine.

-Stanley

I don't have a MAC computer, but from previous experience with clients, I've found two things specific that are different. I'm basing this off FM5&6, so I don't know if this has been corrected/changed. You may not even be using these fuctions.

1) Any export/import functions. I believe MACs use a slightly different character set than PCs do.

2) Saved print setups. It took me a while to figure out why mac clients' reports weren't printing landscape when I specifically told it to.

This topic is 6948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.